Running in the rain can be an exhilarating experience, but it demands the right gear for comfort and performance. At the heart of this gear is the rain jacket, a crucial ally against the elements. In this article, we explore the best rain jackets for running, focusing on their ability to provide protection, breathability, and mobility in wet conditions. From lightweight designs to feature-rich options, we’ll guide you through a range of jackets suited for casual joggers to marathon enthusiasts. Whether facing a light drizzle or a downpour, the right rain jacket can transform your rainy run from a challenge into a delight. Dive into our selection to find the perfect rain jacket that meets your needs and keeps you dry and comfortable on the go.
Table of Contents
Name of products
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket
Columbia Pouration Rain Jacket
Janji Rainrunner Pack Jacket
Rated by our team
Our Top Picks
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket – Best Overall
Columbia Pouration Rain Jacket – Runner Up
Janji Rainrunner Pack Jacket – Best Jacket for Running in Rain
Salomon Bonatti Waterproof – Best Lightweight Rain Jacket for Ultra Running
Jack Wolfskin Prelight 2.5L Jacket – Best Lightweight Rain Jacket for Trail Running
Showers Pass Cloudburst Jacket – Best Packable
Arc’teryx Norvan LT Hoody – Best Breathable
Best Jacket for Running in Rain: Review
In this detailed exploration, we will delve into the best jackets for running in the rain and provide an in-depth analysis of their features, performance, and suitability for avid runners. We will consider elements such as waterproofing, breathability, weight, and ease of mobility to guide you in making an informed decision when choosing the ideal rain jacket for your running pursuits. By the end of this analysis, you’ll have a comprehensive understanding of the top contenders in the market and be well-prepared to select the ultimate rain jacket to enhance your running experience, regardless of the weather.
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket
The Outdoor Research Helium Jacket is a revamped ultralight rain shell released in 2020, succeeding the renowned “Helium II”. Weighing a mere 6.1 oz for a men’s medium, the jacket uses a 2.5L Pertex Shield Diamond Fuse for waterproofing, ensuring impressive resilience for its weight class. Notably durable due to the Diamond Fuse fabric, it offers increased tear resistance. The Helium excels in emergency rain situations, mainly during summer and shoulder seasons, but might struggle in prolonged downpours. It boasts a compact packability, fitting easily into its chest pocket. However, breathability can be a concern during high-exertion activities. Feature-wise, it has a practical hood design and a single chest pocket, while maintaining a trim, yet comfortable fit. It stands out as a cost-effective option compared to competitors in the ultralight category.
- Weight: 6.1 oz.,
- Waterproofing: 2.5L Pertex Shield Diamond Fuse
- Price: $$$
- Pockets and Storage: Thoughtful design elements include a single separating center front zipper and brushed tricot hand pockets
- Special Feature: Excellent trim fit that works well with or without a midlayer
I’m quite taken with the quality of this lightweight rain jacket, which might just be the best type of rain jacket for running. Even if its price seems a tad on the higher side, its functionality is commendable. The underarm vents are a standout feature, providing comfort during wear. I particularly appreciate the jacket’s design that allows it to be folded into its own pocket, proving handy for on-the-go situations. Moreover, the wrist velcros and adjustable drawstrings, both around the hood and the jacket’s lower end, offer excellent protection against the elements, guaranteeing a snug fit even in inclement weather.
Columbia Pouration Rain Jacket
The Columbia Pouration Rain Jacket is designed for optimal performance on rainy days. It boasts a robust waterproof-breathable construction with Omni-Tech™ technology and fully sealed seams. For enhanced comfort, it features underarm venting, and for flexibility, it has adjustable cuffs, a drawcord-adjustable hem, and a stow-away hood. Additionally, the jacket offers multiple storage options with a chest pocket and two zippered hand pockets, one of which allows the jacket to be conveniently packed inside. With a center back length of 29″, this jacket is ideal for hiking and ensures you remain dry and comfortable during downpours.
- Weight: 11.7 oz.,
- Shell: Omni-Tech™ Full-Dull Rip-Stop 2L 100% nylon
- Price: $$
- Pockets and Storage: Zippered hand and chest pocket
- Special Feature: Very Packable
Finding quality attire for larger adults can be challenging, especially within niche segments like the best waterproof jackets for trail running. I appreciate Columbia for creating a product accommodating to larger individuals in this segment. This jacket stands out for its lightweight nature and its unique packability into a compact attached pouch. Initially, I grappled with packing it correctly. By laying the jacket on a flat surface, folding it a couple of times, and then rolling it to tuck into the pouch, I achieved the most space-efficient bundle. Though one can hastily stuff it, the aforementioned method yielded the neatest results. Furthermore, the jacket’s lightweight design doesn’t compromise on its breathability, striking a balance between keeping one ventilated and dry.
Janji Rainrunner Pack Jacket
The Janji Rainrunner Pack Jacket boasts a 2.5-layer waterproof, breathable shell with fully taped seams, ensuring optimal rain protection with a rating of 30,000 mm/30,000 g. Its lightweight stretch ripstop fabric guarantees durability and unrestricted movement. The jacket incorporates 360° core panel venting for breathability during intense activities. With a sleek, ergonomic design for efficient running, it layers seamlessly over mid-layers. It features two zippered pockets, one with a mesh sleeve for phone stability, and a self-stowing pocket with a carry strap. The YKK AquaGuard® zipper, scuba-style hood, and articulated cuffs enhance comfort and protection. A reflective Janji logo adds visibility, while its dropped back hem provides extra coverage during strides.
- Weight: 8 oz.,
- Waterproofing: 30,000 g waterproof
- Price: $$$
- Pockets and Storage: Two zippered hand pockets with thin nylon pulls for easy open/close plus an inset power mesh sleeve in the left pocket to secure a phone + minimize bounce
- Special Feature: 360º panel venting around the core for added breathability.
Salomon Bonatti Waterproof
The Salomon Bonatti Waterproof jacket is designed for maximum protection against the elements. Treated with DWR (Durable Water Repellent), it offers water-resistance. The Smart vent feature allows for ventilation by using a press button, ensuring your jacket stays in place even with vents open. With the AdvancedSkin Dry 10K/10K technology, the jacket provides excellent waterproofing (up to 10,000 mm) and breathability (10,000 g/m²/24h). The AdvancedSkin Dry system further ensures protection from rain, snow, and wind, while promoting moisture evaporation for added comfort. Constructed with Ripstop fabric, the jacket is reinforced for enhanced durability and longevity.
- Weight: 5 oz.,
- Waterproofing: 10K / 10K waterproofness
- Price: $$
- Pockets and Storage: 2 hand pockets
- Special Feature: Completely waterproof when zipped closed, waterproof zippers are essential to waterproof apparel or bags
Jack Wolfskin Prelight 2.5L Jacket
The Jack Wolfskin Prelight 2.5L Jacket for Men is an ultra-light hiking essential, weighing just 185g for a size M. Designed for convenience, this jacket can be compactly packed, making it an ideal emergency wear to carry in your backpack. Crafted with a breathable 2.5-layer TEXAPORE PRO, it guarantees both windproof and waterproof protection. It features two zippered pockets for easy-access storage, and both the hem and hood are adjustable for a customized fit. A significant shield on the hood ensures your face remains protected from the rain. Key features include its ultralight weight, windproof, waterproof, and breathable attributes.
- Weight: 6.3 oz.,
- Waterproofing: 2.5-layer TEXAPORE PRO
- Price: $$
- Pockets and Storage: Two Zipped Pockets
- Special Feature: Ultralight
Showers Pass Cloudburst Jacket
The Showers Pass Cloudburst Jacket is constructed from a 3-layer eliteAIR™ fabric, offering impressive breathability at 43,000 g/m^2/24hr and a waterproof rating of 10,200 mmH20. This jacket boasts a 4-way stretch fabric that’s soft both inside and out, ensuring movement aligns with your body. With full seam taping, it features a low-profile front zipper enhanced with a storm flap and reflective trim. Core vents provide breathability and double as mesh pockets. A partially elasticized cuff ensures a sleek fit, while a large reflective-trimmed back pocket offers storage. Conveniently, the jacket can be packed into this back pocket. Additional features include a double cinch cord at the hem, a moisture-wicking lining at the collar, and a trim tailored fit.
- Weight: 9.8oz.,
- Waterproofing: 3-layer eliteAIR™ fabric 43,000 breathable / 10,200 waterproof (g/m^2/24hr / mmH20)
- Price: $$
- Pockets and Storage: two large hand pockets that double as vents if you want more air flow, and the internal area behind those pockets creates two additional internally accessible pockets of the same size
- Special Feature: lightweight three-layer waterproof, breathable fabric that’s full of stretch and sports a soft, non-rain-jacket-like feel
Arc’teryx Norvan LT Hoody
The Arc’teryx Norvan LT Hoody offers top-notch protection with its waterproof, windproof, and breathable features, all while being lightweight. Constructed using GORE-TEX three-layer technology, it also incorporates the soft and light GORE C-KNIT™ backer for added comfort. Designed for optimal fit and protection, the hoody has an adjustable hood with a front brim, an elasticized bottom hem, and a drawcord to fend off drafts. Mobility and comfort are enhanced by articulated sleeves and gusseted underarms. For storage, there’s a discreet hip pocket with an invisible zipper. Notably, the jacket incorporates materials that meet the bluesign® sustainability criteria. The primary material used is N13p 3L GORE-TEX with C-KNIT™ backer technology.
- Weight: 6.9oz.,
- Waterproofing: GORE-TEX 3-layer waterproof, breathable membraane
- Price: $$
- Pockets and Storage: An internal zippered pocket
- Special Feature: Good all-around breathability (much better than we expected)
What to Consider When Choosing Best Jacket for Running in Rain?
When choosing the best jacket for running in the rain, there are several key factors to consider to ensure you get the most out of your runs, regardless of the weather. Here are the essential aspects to keep in mind:
- Waterproof vs. Water-Resistant: Waterproof jackets offer complete protection against rain, whereas water-resistant jackets can handle light rain but may not hold up in heavier downpours. Consider the typical weather conditions you’ll be running in when making your choice.
- Breathability: This is crucial to prevent overheating and sweating excessively. Look for jackets with breathable fabrics and ventilation features, like underarm zips or back vents, to allow moisture to escape.
- Fit and Mobility: The jacket should allow for full range of motion. It should be snug enough to prevent excess material flapping, but not so tight that it restricts movement. Look for articulated elbows or stretchy materials.
- Weight and Packability: Lightweight jackets are less burdensome and more comfortable for running. Some jackets can be packed into their own pocket, making them convenient to carry when not in use.
- Visibility: For safety, especially in low-light conditions, choose a jacket with reflective elements to ensure you are visible to others.
- Hood Design: A well-designed hood can provide extra protection without obstructing vision. Look for adjustable hoods that can be tightened for a secure fit.
- Durability: The jacket should be made of durable materials that can withstand repeated use and the abrasive conditions of outdoor running.
- Additional Features: Consider additional features like pockets (ideally waterproof), sealed seams, adjustable cuffs, and a longer back hem for added protection.
- Climate and Seasonality: Tailor your choice to the climate you’re running in. Heavier, insulated jackets may be needed for cold, rainy conditions, whereas a lighter, more breathable jacket is better for warmer climates.
- Personal Preferences and Style: Finally, choose a jacket that aligns with your personal style and preferences in terms of color, design, and overall look.
By considering these factors, you’ll be able to find a rain jacket that not only keeps you dry but also enhances your running experience in wet conditions.
What Are the Advantages of Using Rain Jackets for Running?
Using rain jackets for running offers several advantages, particularly for those who don’t want weather conditions to disrupt their training routine. Here are the key benefits:
- Weather Protection: The most obvious advantage is protection from the rain. A good rain jacket keeps you dry, enabling you to continue your run despite wet weather.
- Wind Resistance: Besides keeping you dry, many rain jackets also offer wind resistance, which is particularly beneficial in maintaining body temperature and comfort in windy conditions.
- Breathability: Advanced rain jackets are designed to be breathable, preventing overheating and excessive sweating by allowing air circulation and moisture to escape from inside the jacket.
- Enhanced Comfort: These jackets often feature design elements like adjustable cuffs, hoods, and hemlines, which can enhance overall comfort and fit, making your run more enjoyable.
- Increased Visibility: Running in the rain often means poor visibility. Many rain jackets come with reflective elements, increasing your visibility to drivers and others, which is crucial for safety.
- Versatility: Many rain jackets are lightweight and packable, making them easy to carry and suitable for various outdoor activities beyond running.
- Durability and Longevity: Designed to withstand harsh conditions, high-quality rain jackets are durable, ensuring they last through many seasons of running.
- Layering Capability: Rain jackets can be layered over other running gear, making them adaptable for different temperatures and weather conditions.
- Personal Comfort and Confidence: Knowing that you’re well-equipped for the weather can boost your confidence and comfort, potentially enhancing your performance and enjoyment of the run.
- Fashion and Style: Modern rain jackets come in various styles and colors, allowing runners to express their personal style while staying protected from the elements.
Leading Brands in Best Rain Suit for Running
Arc’teryx: Revered for high-end outdoor gear, the Norvan LT Hoody is a testament to their dedication to quality, utilizing GORE-TEX for maximum breathability and waterproofing.
Salomon: A key player in trail running gear, their Bonatti Waterproof jacket offers DWR treatment and AdvancedSkin Dry technology for a balanced blend of protection and comfort.
Showers Pass: Their Cloudburst Jacket, made with eliteAIR™ fabric, promises optimal breathability and waterproof features, perfect for enduring runners.
Janji: The Rainrunner Pack Jacket from Janji integrates 360° panel venting, designed especially for high-output running sessions to ensure heat release and enhanced mobility.
Jack Wolfskin: The Prelight 2.5L Jacket stands out due to its ultra-lightweight feature, making it an excellent emergency addition with its TEXAPORE PRO protection.
Columbia: A household name in outdoor gear, their Pouration Rain Jacket utilizes Omni-Tech™ waterproof technology, ensuring runners stay dry in the most challenging conditions.
Why You Must Trust Us?
Our foremost goal is to build confidence and reliability in product reviews, delivering accurate and unbiased information. Our methodology incorporates key steps to ensure in-depth assessments.
First, we deeply explore the product, analyzing its details, functionalities, and user reviews. This understanding aids in identifying the product’s purpose and its relevance to prospective customers.
Next, we acquire the product for in-depth analysis. Our specialized review team carefully examines aspects like performance, longevity, ease of use, and unique attributes. We aim to present a holistic review, emphasizing both strengths and weaknesses.
Throughout our evaluation, we include feedback from actual users. By merging viewpoints from varied sources, we guarantee a comprehensive assessment, further enhancing the review’s credibility.
In essence, our commitment to transparency and objectivity sets us apart. Our purpose is to offer dependable reviews based on rigorous research, empowering buyers with clear insights for informed choices.
What are the features of the best waterproof rain jackets for running?
Firstly, the best waterproof rain jackets for running boast excellent protection from rain. Secondly, they are lightweight, ensuring they don’t impede the runner’s movement. Additionally, breathability is crucial, as it regulates temperature and prevents overheating. Finally, durability is key, ensuring the jacket can withstand the wear and tear of frequent use.
How do the best rain jackets for trail running differ from regular running jackets?
Initially, the best rain jackets for trail running prioritize durability due to the rugged terrains they encounter. Next, while both types prioritize breathability, trail jackets often feature reinforced areas to withstand brushes against rough surfaces. Furthermore, they might have more pockets for trail necessities. Conversely, regular running jackets focus primarily on weight and aerodynamics for urban or track environments.
Why is breathability important in the best waterproof rain jackets for running?
Breathability in rain jackets ensures that runners remain comfortable and dry from the inside. Additionally, as runners exert themselves, they produce sweat; a breathable jacket allows this moisture to escape. Consequently, without proper ventilation, a runner could become wet internally, negating the jacket’s waterproof benefits. Ultimately, breathability balances protection from external rain and internal perspiration, optimizing the running experience.
How do I choose the right rain jacket for my running needs?
Firstly, consider the intensity and duration of your runs. Next, assess the typical weather conditions you’ll face, prioritizing waterproofing if heavy downpours are common. Additionally, weigh the importance of breathability, especially if you run long distances. Furthermore, think about weight and packability for convenience. Ultimately, choose a jacket that aligns with these criteria and feels comfortable during movement.
How do I care for and clean my rain jacket?
Firstly, always consult the jacket’s care label before cleaning. Next, typically, machine washing on a gentle cycle with mild detergent is recommended. Additionally, avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, as they can compromise the jacket’s waterproofing. After washing, air dry the jacket, refraining from direct sunlight or heat sources. Lastly, periodic re-waterproofing treatments can help maintain its water-resistant properties.
I’m Heorhii Rysak, a go-to sports enthusiast and blogger. My fascination with sports began in my childhood with karate, setting the foundation for my love of physical fitness. Over the years, I’ve delved into various disciplines, including martial arts and CrossFit, and developed a passion for tennis. I bring a wealth of practical experience to my blog, where I share equipment reviews, workout plans, and fitness advice. My goal is simple: to inspire and assist you in your journey toward better health and performance.